Development of Socio-Cultural Competence of the Government Employees at the State Civil Service and Human Resource Development Agency of Biak Numfor Regency Papua Province
The low educational level of the government employees at the State Civil Service and Human Resources Development Agency of Biak Numfor Regency in Papua Province affects the quality of public services which was far from the society’s expectations. The development of competence that has been given so far had not been able to change the primal aspects of the government employees. Therefore, the development of competence provided must touch the large and varied cultural diversity that leads to the improvement of knowledge, capability, and skills to generate better performance and services. This study aims to analyze the development of the government employees’ competence at the State Civil Service and Human Resources Development Agency of Biak Numfor Regency, Papua Province. The method used in this research was descriptive research with a qualitative approach. Primary data was collected through observation, interviews and Focus Group Discussion (FGD); the respondents were the government employees in the State Civil Service and Human Resource Development Agency of Biak Numfor Regency, Papua Province. Secondary data were obtained through documentation studies. The data were analyzed using interactive models. The results showed that the process of developing the socio-cultural competence of the government employees in the State Civil Service and Human Resource Development Agency of Biak Numfor Regency, Papua Province was through: 1) BIMTA (Mental and Spiritual Guidance), 2) JUMAT BELI (Friday clean environment program), 3) Leadership Advice through meetings and assembly, 4) Education and Training, which still need to be improved such as providing special program through education and training, seminars, courses, and upgrading related to socio-cultural competence to encourage them to have national insights with a pluralistic society in terms of religion, ethnicity, culture, and able to adapt and communicate effectively, empathetically, and politely among employees and the society.
Abdussamad, Z. (2014). Kompetensi Aparat dalam Pelayanan Publik. Yogyakarta: Budi Utama.
Bernardin, H. J., & Russell, J. E. A. (2013). Human Resource Management: An Experiential Approach. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Buradum, T. F., & Anita, G. T. (2018). Workgroup Diversity and Group Cohesiveness in Nigeria Police. Sumerianz Journal of Social Science, 1(2), 59–66. Retrieved from https://www.sumerianz.com/pdf-files/sjss1(2)59-66.pdf
Clardy, A. (2007). Strategy, core competencies and human resource development. Human Resource Development International, 10(3), 339–349. http://doi.org/10.1080/13678860701516628
Data and Information Sub-Division of the State Civil Service and Human Resources Development of Biak Numfor Regency Papua Province. (2018). The Illustration of the Level of the Government Employees Education. Biak: Biak Numfor Regency Papua Province.
Frinaldi, A. (2014). Pengaruh Budaya Kerja Pegawai Negeri Sipil terhadap Pelayanan Publik di Dinas Catatan Sipil dan Kependudukan Kota Payakumbuh. Humanus, 13(2), 180–192. http://doi.org/10.24036/jh.v13i2.4727
Frinaldi, A., & Embi, M. A. (2011). Pengaruh Budaya Kerja Etnik terhadap Budaya Kerja Keberanian dan Kearifan PNS dalam Pelayanan Publik yang Prima (Studi pada Pemerintahan Kabupaten Pasaman Barat). E-JLAN, 1(1), 62–68.
Hasibuan, M. (2014). Manajemen Sumber Daya Manusia. Jakarta: Bumi Aksara.
Khan, M. T., Khan, N. A., & Mahmood, K. (2012). An Organizational Concept of Human Resource Development-How Human Resource Management Scholars View “HRD.” Far East Journal of Psychology and Business, 8(5), 50–60. Retrieved from https://ideas.repec.org/a/fej/articl/v8cy2012i5p50-60.html
Kiberenge, C., & Elizabeth, N. (2016). Effects of Working Environment on Employees Performance at Teachers Service Commission Trans Nzoia County. International Journal of Scientific Engineering and Research (IJSER), 4(10), 151–156. Retrieved from http://www.ijser.in/archives/v4i10/IJSER15985.pdf
Laird, S. E. (2008). Anti-oppressive Social Work: A Guide for Developing Cultural Competence. Thousand Oaks, California: Oliver’s Yard.
Law of the Republic of Indonesia Number 23 of 2014 on Regional Government, Pub. L. No. 23 (2014). Indonesia.
Law of the Republic of Indonesia Number 5 of 2014 on State Civil Apparatus, Pub. L. No. 5 (2014). Indonesia.
Makmur. (2009). Teori Manajemen Stratejik dalam Pemerintahan dan Pembangunan. Bandung: Refika Aditama.
Meteray, B. (2013). Nasionalisme Ganda Orang Papua. Jakarta, Indonesia: Kompas Media Nusantara.
Mondy, N., & Wayne, R. (2008). Human Resource Management. In Human Resource Management (10th ed., p. 17). New York: Harper Collins College Publishers.
Priansa, D. J. (2014). Perencanaan dan Pengembangan Sumber Daya Manusia. Bandung: Alfabeta.
Radhakrishna, A., & Raju, R. S. (2015). A Study on the Effect of Human Resource Development on Employment Relations. IUP Journal of Management Research, 14(3), 28–42. Retrieved from https://www.questia.com/library/journal/1P3-3776384261/a-study-on-the-effect-of-human-resource-development
Samsudin, S. (2010). Manajemen Sumber Daya Manusia. Bandung: Pustaka Setia.
Sartika, D. (2016). Penyusunan Standar Kompetensi Sosio Kultural untuk Jabatan Pimpinan Tinggi di Pemerintahan Daerah. Jurnal Transformasi Administrasi, 6(1), 1048–1153.
Sartika, D., & Kusumaningrum, M. (2017). Pengembangan Kompetensi Aparatur Sipil Negara di Lingkungan Pemerintah Provinsi Kalimantan Timur. Jurnal Borneo Administrator, 13(2), 131–150. http://doi.org/10.24258/jba.v13i2.310
Sartorius, K., Merino, A., & Carmichael, T. (2011). Human resource management and cultural diversity: a case study in Mozambique. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 22(9), 1963–1985. http://doi.org/10.1080/09585192.2011.573973
Sedarmayanti. (2016). Manajemen Sumber Daya Manusia Reformasi Birokrasi dan Manajemen Pegawai Negeri Sipil. Bandung: Refika Aditama.
Sudarmanto. (2009). Kinerja dan Pengembangan Kompetensi Sumber Daya Manusia. Yogyakarta: Pustaka Pelajar.
Suparyadi. (2015). Manajemen Sumber Daya Manusia Menciptakan Keunggulan Bersaing Berbasis Kompetensi SDM. Yogyakarta: Andi Offset.
Sutrisno, E. (2009). Manajemen Sumber Daya Manusia. Jakarta, Indonesia: Kencana Prenada Media Group.
Vazirani, N. (2010). Competencies and Competency Model - A Brief overview of its Development and Application. SIES Journal of Management, 7(1), 121–131.
Yuristia, A. (2017). Keterkaitan Pendidikan, Perubahan Sosial Budaya, Modernisasi, dan Pembangunan. Ijtimaiyah, 1(1), 1–17. Retrieved from http://jurnal.uinsu.ac.id/index.php/ijtimaiyah/article/view/1161
Copyright (c) 2018 Jurnal Bina Praja: Journal of Home Affairs Governance
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- The author submits the manuscript to the Jurnal Bina Praja: Journal of Home Affairs Governance and certifies that the work has not been published before and does not contain publication material that would violate any copyright or personal or proprietary right of any person or entity.
- The author hereby grants to Research and Development Agency-Ministry of Home Affairs (R&D-MoHA) of the Republic of Indonesia, an exclusive publishing and distribution license in the manuscript identified above and any tables, illustrations or other material submitted for publication as part of the manuscript in print, electronic and all other media, in any form, in all languages, throughout the world, for the full term of copyright, and the right to license others to do the same, effective when the Article is accepted for publication. This license includes the right to enforce the rights granted hereunder against third parties.
- As an author, you may do the following:
- make copies (print or electronic) of the article for personal use, including for classroom teaching use;
- make copies and distribute such copies (including through e-mail) of the article to research colleagues, for personal use by such colleagues (but not commercially or systematically, e.g. via an e-mail list or list server);
- present the article at a meeting or conference and to distribute copies of the article to the delegates attending such meeting;
- retain patent and trademark rights and rights to any process, procedure, or article of manufacture described in the article;
- include the article in full or in part in a thesis or dissertation (provided that this is not to be published commercially);
- use the article or any part thereof in a printed compilation of your works, such as collected writings or lecture notes (subsequent to publication of the article in the journal); and prepare other derivative works, to extend the article into book-length form, or to otherwise re-use portions or excerpts in other works, with full acknowledgement of its original publication in the journal;
- may reproduce or authorize others to reproduce the article, material extracted from the article, or derivative works for the author’s personal use or for company use, provided that the source and the copyright notice are indicated, the copies are not used in any way that implies R&D-MoHA endorsement of a product or service of any employer, and the copies themselves are not offered for sale.
Every accepted manuscript should be accompanied by Copyright Transfer Agreement prior to the article publication.